CPA Australia chief executive Alex Malley has said he is confident in the progression of the newly-launched licensee CPA Australia Advice, despite having only 11 advisers currently listed as authorised representatives.
ASIC approved CPA’s AFSL in April this year, following the group’s announcement in 2015 that it would launch a financial planning business and provide "pure and transparent fee-for-service" advice to consumers.
Since commencing operations on 1 July, only 11 advisers have become authorised representatives, according to ASIC records.
Mr Malley, however, told ifa that “there are a number of other advisers at various stages of the on-boarding process”.
“Since announcing our intention to establish CPA Australia Advice last year, we’ve been developing our business structure, getting our team together and working through the intricacies of our business,” he said.
“We have an ongoing and rigorous process of reviewing applicants who meet our criteria, and it’s important to be aware that not everyone who has expressed an interest will necessarily become an authorised representative.”
Overall, Mr Malley said he is happy with the direction of the licensee.
“We’re confident that the uniqueness of our offer is resonating – and will continue to resonate – in the marketplace,” he said.
CPA Australia Advice is intended to act as an alternative to the big banks and financial institutions. Its operations are said to be consistent with the Corporations Act definition of independence, and offer conflict-free services.
In August, ifa reported that Mr Malley urged the accounting industry to “reclaim its rightful territory of advice”.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 15 Feb 2019ASIC to undertake harsher penalties against banksBy Eliot Hastie
- 15 Feb 2019Court restrains unlicensed firm from operatingBy Adrian Flores
- 15 Feb 2019ASIC used Dover whistleblowing to shut licensee downBy Adrian Flores
- 15 Feb 2019Minimal time spent on client engagement, survey findsBy Adrian Flores
- 15 Feb 2019Advice regtech aims to ease CPD burden under FASEABy Adrian Flores
- 14 Feb 2019AMP adviser network declined 4.6% in 2018By Adrian Flores
- view all