Assistant Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has urged life insurers to help all advisers navigate their way through the changes of the Life Insurance Framework.
During a speech at the Financial Services Council annual conference on the Gold Coast, Mr Frydenberg said he is "very conscious of the challenges" the Life Insurance Framework presents advisers.
Mr Frydenberg acknowledged these challenges have been made clear during the "many discussions" he has had with advisers since being appointed assistant treasurer.
He told the insurers attending the conference that if there is a message he can provide them, it is that advisers are "looking to you to help them transition and navigate these significant reforms".
"Making sure all parts of the industry thrive as a result of these reforms should be seen as a shared goal given the level of underinsurance in Australia," Mr Frydenberg said.
"Australians need the industry to come together to improve the quality of advice and to ensure it remains accessible to those that need it most."
Mr Frydenberg also acknowledged that with all the compromises made during debates around the reforms, "neither side got everything they wanted".
"But by coming to the table, each side was able to obtain a better outcome for their members than they would have in isolation," he said.
"Of course, implementing the proposals will require ongoing cooperation.
"Industry, along with the government, continues to flesh out the detail of this package," he said, "and while there is considerable detail to be finalised, the government will not lose sight of the end objective: better outcomes for consumers."
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 16 Mar 2018CBA CEO pushed for FOFA extensionBy James Mitchell and Aleks Vickovich
- 16 Mar 2018CPA dealer group clashes with FASEA requirementsBy Katarina Taurian
- 16 Mar 2018NAB launches virtual assistant for superBy Staff Reporter
- 15 Mar 2018IFA-focused platforms open to new strategiesBy Staff Reporter
- 15 Mar 2018Deakin eyes advisers to fill staff demandBy Killian Plastow
- 15 Mar 2018Adviser Innovation Summit 2018 agenda announcedBy Staff Reporter
- view all