In an effort to target lower volatility and higher income yields, IOOF MultiMix Investments has launched a new defensive equities portfolio.
IOOF portfolio manager Dan Farmer said in a statement that the decline in cash and bond yields has meant income needs to be sought elsewhere.
“We believe that a specially constructed equity market exposure will allow us to address this,” said Mr Farmer.
“Due to the volatility of equities, not too much exposure can be taken within the more conservative funds. This is because higher yield comes at a price, in the form of higher risk.”
The statement said many managers feed defensive equities into their balanced portfolios as part of their mainstream Australian equity exposure, irrespective of the risk profile of the different balanced portfolios.
The volatility and uncertainty of share markets through the global financial crisis led to a greater focus on dividend yield as potentially a more secure source of return, it added.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 25 Jun 2018Sam Henderson to retire from financial adviceBy Reporter
- 25 Jun 2018CBA to spin off 'independent' CFS GroupBy Reporter
- 22 Jun 2018Awards night recognises young adviser of the yearBy Reporter
- 22 Jun 2018AMP chair urges RC to not to restrict business modelsBy Killian Plastow
- 22 Jun 2018David Murray takes reins as AMP chairmanBy Reporter
- 22 Jun 2018Fitzpatricks announces new licensee bossBy Aleks Vickovich
- view all