In an effort to target lower volatility and higher income yields, IOOF MultiMix Investments has launched a new defensive equities portfolio.
IOOF portfolio manager Dan Farmer said in a statement that the decline in cash and bond yields has meant income needs to be sought elsewhere.
“We believe that a specially constructed equity market exposure will allow us to address this,” said Mr Farmer.
“Due to the volatility of equities, not too much exposure can be taken within the more conservative funds. This is because higher yield comes at a price, in the form of higher risk.”
The statement said many managers feed defensive equities into their balanced portfolios as part of their mainstream Australian equity exposure, irrespective of the risk profile of the different balanced portfolios.
The volatility and uncertainty of share markets through the global financial crisis led to a greater focus on dividend yield as potentially a more secure source of return, it added.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 18 Oct 2017ISA ups ante on governance lobbyingBy Aleks Vickovich
- 18 Oct 2017Midwinter and PractiFI announce integrationBy Staff Reporter
- 18 Oct 2017Hub24 announces partnership with EurozBy Staff Reporter
- 18 Oct 2017Former NZ PM joins ANZBy Staff Reporter
- 18 Oct 2017IRESS and SuiteBox announce Xplan integrationBy Staff Reporter
- 17 Oct 2017Shipton ‘most qualified’ for ASIC role: O’DwyerBy Aleks Vickovich and Jessica Yun
- view all