Licensee Synchron has launched an animated video, explaining the risks of non-disclosure on insurance applications to an adviser’s clients.
Synchron independent chair Michael Harrison said the dealer group developed the video to help protect advisers against negligence claims due to instances of non-disclosure.
“Non-disclosure is a major issue in the industry and one of the main reasons client claims are declined,” Mr Harrison said.
“We have even heard of an instance where an adviser is being sued for negligence because his client says he did not properly explain his duty of disclosure - despite the client signing an acknowledgement confirming his understanding.”
Mr Harrison said clients may also not understand that they have a legal obligation to tell their insurer anything that might affect their insurance application under the Insurance Contract Act.
“The video we have developed helps our advisers get that message through to clients and also saves them from having to repeat the same thing over and over to each client,” Mr Harrison said.
“It demonstrates that while disclosure might adversely affect the price of premiums, it is far better to pay more than take the risk of a claim not being paid out due to non-disclosure.”
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 24 Jan 2019Former Dover and Synchron adviser banned for five yearsBy Eliot Hastie
- 24 Jan 2019Very few Australians save and even fewer invest their moneyBy Reporter
- 24 Jan 2019Advisers undercharging clients for efforts, says CEOBy Adrian Flores
- 23 Jan 2019Adelaide adviser permanently banned from industryBy Eliot Hastie
- 23 Jan 2019Bowen slams ‘woeful’ handling of royal commissionBy James Mitchell
- 23 Jan 2019Gender super gap lower but still at 34%By Adrian Flores
- view all