Licensee Synchron has launched an animated video, explaining the risks of non-disclosure on insurance applications to an adviser’s clients.
Synchron independent chair Michael Harrison said the dealer group developed the video to help protect advisers against negligence claims due to instances of non-disclosure.
“Non-disclosure is a major issue in the industry and one of the main reasons client claims are declined,” Mr Harrison said.
“We have even heard of an instance where an adviser is being sued for negligence because his client says he did not properly explain his duty of disclosure - despite the client signing an acknowledgement confirming his understanding.”
Mr Harrison said clients may also not understand that they have a legal obligation to tell their insurer anything that might affect their insurance application under the Insurance Contract Act.
“The video we have developed helps our advisers get that message through to clients and also saves them from having to repeat the same thing over and over to each client,” Mr Harrison said.
“It demonstrates that while disclosure might adversely affect the price of premiums, it is far better to pay more than take the risk of a claim not being paid out due to non-disclosure.”
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 16 Mar 2018CBA CEO pushed for FOFA extensionBy James Mitchell and Aleks Vickovich
- 16 Mar 2018CPA dealer group clashes with FASEA requirementsBy Katarina Taurian
- 16 Mar 2018NAB launches virtual assistant for superBy Staff Reporter
- 15 Mar 2018IFA-focused platforms open to new strategiesBy Staff Reporter
- 15 Mar 2018Deakin eyes advisers to fill staff demandBy Killian Plastow
- 15 Mar 2018Adviser Innovation Summit 2018 agenda announcedBy Staff Reporter
- view all