Licensee Synchron has launched an animated video, explaining the risks of non-disclosure on insurance applications to an adviser’s clients.
Synchron independent chair Michael Harrison said the dealer group developed the video to help protect advisers against negligence claims due to instances of non-disclosure.
“Non-disclosure is a major issue in the industry and one of the main reasons client claims are declined,” Mr Harrison said.
“We have even heard of an instance where an adviser is being sued for negligence because his client says he did not properly explain his duty of disclosure - despite the client signing an acknowledgement confirming his understanding.”
Mr Harrison said clients may also not understand that they have a legal obligation to tell their insurer anything that might affect their insurance application under the Insurance Contract Act.
“The video we have developed helps our advisers get that message through to clients and also saves them from having to repeat the same thing over and over to each client,” Mr Harrison said.
“It demonstrates that while disclosure might adversely affect the price of premiums, it is far better to pay more than take the risk of a claim not being paid out due to non-disclosure.”
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 20 Sep 2018Independent advice will prosper but must be paid for: LovedayBy James Mitchell
- 21 Sep 2018Former ASFA policy advisor to boost FPA ranksBy Reporter
- 21 Sep 2018Aligned advisers in search of freedomBy Adrian Flores
- 20 Sep 2018Banned Perth adviser did not engage in dishonest conductBy James Mitchell
- 20 Sep 2018‘No advisers have been mistreated’: DalyBy James Mitchell
- 20 Sep 2018Beacon advisers held ‘ransom’ while IIOF money remains missingBy James Mitchell
- view all