Former would-be prime minister and Shartru Wealth Management chairman John Hewson has warned that the resistance of SMSF trustees towards professional advice could lead the sector to crisis point.
In a statement welcoming the launch of a joint financial advice offering from Shartru and Resi Mortgage Corporation, Dr Hewson said the rise of the SMSF sector was making professional financial advice more important.
“With around 75 per cent of self-managed superfund trustees not using a financial adviser to help with their investment strategy we believe there is a looming crisis in Australia,” he said.
“Many are not adequately insured and may be retiring without a properly diversified investment portfolio,” he added.
The joint venture, reported by ifa sister title InvestorDaily today, will help bridge the advice gap for direct property investors, Dr Hewson said.
“We know many of these Australians are favourable to property investing, so we will be building on this to give clients a more balanced asset allocation and portfolio,” he said.
“We believe the match of the expertise of both our groups will be of significant benefit to our existing and prospective clients.”
The new venture – Resi Financial Services – will see Shartru-affiliated and qualified financial planners working alongside Resi’s existing mortgage specialists in retail franchises.
The project has been trialled iin the Sutherland franchise in suburban Sydney since February and will be rolled out progressively across the country over the next 12 months.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 16 Nov 2018Government sets $51m to pursue misconductBy Eliot Hastie
- 16 Nov 2018The financial advisers most people don’t read aboutBy James Mitchell
- 16 Nov 2018Clients expect advisers to understand their situationBy Eliot Hastie
- 16 Nov 2018Retirees hit hardest by franking credit changes, says FSCBy Sarah Simpkins
- 16 Nov 2018Trust in advice more important than everBy Stephanie Aikins
- 15 Nov 2018We’ll lose advisers through FASEA but it’s necessaryBy Adrian Flores
- view all