Direct life insurance premiums are on average significantly more expensive than retail premiums, according to research from Life Insurance Direct Australia.
The findings draw on the 2016 Life Insurance Direct Quote Index, which is based on research of more than 3,000 quotes from 32 brands.
This year’s index includes premium data for policies sourced through eight major super funds, as well as the direct and retail policy markets, Life Insurance Direct said in a statement.
“The research confirms findings from 2015 that, on average, direct life insurance policies are significantly more expensive than retail policies," Life Insurance Direct chief executive Russell Cain said.
“Interestingly, the research highlights that one insurer, owned by one of the four big banks, has significantly reduced the premiums on their retail life insurance products from the 2015 data.”
The index reveals that a 45-year-old male seeking $500,000 life insurance could pay premiums ranging from $41.00 to $132.43 per month, amounting to a difference of more than $1,000 annually.
Mr Cain said there are many misconceptions about which brands deliver value, advising consumers to do their research as life insurance premiums and policy benefits can vary dramatically between brands and distribution channels.
“We speak to people all the time who have no idea they are being overcharged on their premiums or where to find good value,” he said.
“To avoid being overcharged on your life insurance premiums, be informed and shop around before you make a decision.”
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 14 Dec 2018ASIC clarifies RG 146 requirements for advisersBy Adrian Flores
- 14 Dec 2018Sargon Capital acquires listed robo adviserBy James Mitchell
- 14 Dec 2018Industry body flags CPD burden under FASEA proposalBy Adrian Flores
- 14 Dec 2018Adviser exodus creating ‘enormous opportunity’ for accountantsBy Jotham Lian
- 14 Dec 2018Advisers embracing ESG investing, says surveyBy Adrian Flores
- 13 Dec 2018AFA picks apart CPD policy from FASEABy Adrian Flores
- view all