The Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT) provides great opportunities to lift your thinking and grow your expertise, according to veteran adviser and former AFA president Joe Nowak.
Speaking exclusively to Risk Adviser, Mr Nowak reflects on his time as an MDRT member after becoming a Qualifying and Life Member this year following 40 years of membership.
"The roundtable concept provides tools and advice to help you achieve a balance in your personal and professional life," he said.
"We were limited in Australia, so I wanted to see what was happening outside.
"It made me grow at 30 and here I am at 71."
Mr Nowak mentioned attending the MDRT Annual Meeting in Toronto in 2014, saying that the ethical tenets of financial advice haven't changed despite changes in technology, and got a real buzz out of the younger advisers present at the meeting.
As for younger advisers wanting to join the MDRT, Mr Nowak encouraged them to become more involved in their local communities.
"You don’t grow by sitting in the office," he said.
"Become involved in the community, whether it is through sport or your local P&F group.
"You've got to do that, because if you're hollow then nothing happens to you."
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 10:42Platform provider remains ahead of the packBy Eliot Hastie
- 10:33Wentworth loss opens Coalition to FASEA changesBy James Mitchell
- 10:33NEOS Life assembles underwriting teamBy Adrian Flores
- 22 Oct 2018ASIC reveals findings of CBA enforceable undertakingBy Adrian Flores
- 22 Oct 2018ARCO fund added to BT Panorama platformBy Adrian Flores
- 22 Oct 2018NAB well-placed to sell MLC wealth businessBy James Mitchell
- view all