Essential information, plus expert insight on what is shaping the national property market...
- 2.5: persons per household (ABS)
- 5.47%: Gross rental yield (units), Greater Hobart
- 44/45: Average predicted population age, 2021
Hobart redesign to attract residents
Hobart’s Inner City Action Plan’s 15 key projects are set to encourage inner city living and stimulate long-term activity, according to the city Council.
The first set of projects, including street upgrades and the improvement of local public transport, has been endorsed, Lord Mayor Alderman Damon Thomas said.
“These include upgrading Liverpool Street between Murray and Elizabeth Streets to coincide with the construction of the new Myer development,” Mr Thomas said.
“We’re about to enter an exciting phase in the evolution of our city, one that’s very likely to bring increased prosperity and greater vitality to our inner city.”
The Liveable Cities plan includes an analysis of public transport operation within the city.
Improving access from the Brooker Avenue to the Domain is high on the list.
“This will be no ‘quick-fix’ plan; it will take a number of years and be dependent on funding. Importantly, the Council has endorsed in principle the Gehl Report as a key strategic reference for the future development of the inner city area.”
Brighton bypass to be completed early
The Brighton bypass, which will cross the Jordan River, will be completed six months earlier than expected, said Department of Infrastructure, Energy & Resources general manager, roads and traffic, Peter Todd.
The $191 million project (up $15 million on previous estimates) will be completed by the end of 2012. The bridge is 165m long and part of a 9.5km four-lane dual carriageway.
The project links the Midland junction and East Derwent Highways to the north side of Pontville. The southern part of the project has been open since December 2010.
Initial estimates had put the final completion date at March 2013.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 15 Aug 2018AFA reveals Female Excellence in Advice finalistsBy Reporter
- 15 Aug 2018CFS ‘retained’ adviser commissions: RCBy Killian Plastow and Tim Stewart
- 15 Aug 2018Suncorp urged advisers to maintain commissionsBy Jessica Yun
- 15 Aug 2018Hostplus spent $260,000 on tennis ticketsBy Tim Stewart
- 14 Aug 2018RC challenges NAB on ASIC interactionsBy Killian Plastow
- 14 Aug 2018Judgement issued in DomaCom SMSF appealBy Miranda Brownlee
- view all