The Trust Company is best known as a 128 year-old financial services firm, but for 59 of those years it has also served as trustee of the Miles Franklin Literary Awards, tasked with administering Franklin’s estate and ensuring her legacy and the promotion of Australian writing.
The trustee recently announced it is taking the awards on the road this year, hosting a number of events across the country in the lead up to the announcement of the 2013 winner.
Events will include discussions with award finalists Romy Ash and Annah Faulkner at the State Library of Queensland in Brisbane on June 5 and at the ACT Writers Centre in Canberra on June 6.
“Over the past four years, The Trust Company has made significant investment in revitalising the award by initiating new events to showcase the Miles Franklin around the country,” Trust Company head of philanthropy Simon Lewis told ifa.
“These events are part of our wider ambition to broaden the audience of the Miles Franklin and Australian literature in general.
“The Trust Company is extremely proud to be associated with the Miles Franklin Award, a relationship which has lasted over 59 years.”
The roadshow follows the announcement of an all-female shortlist for the 2013 award, which includes Michelle de Kretser, Drusilla Modjeska and Carrie Tiffany as well as Ash and Faulkner.
The winner will be announced on June 19 in a ceremony at the National Library of Australia and they will receive $60,000 in prize money, presented by Trust Company on behalf of the Miles Franklin estate.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 18 Oct 2017ISA ups ante on governance lobbyingBy Aleks Vickovich
- 18 Oct 2017Midwinter and PractiFI announce integrationBy Staff Reporter
- 18 Oct 2017Hub24 announces partnership with EurozBy Staff Reporter
- 18 Oct 2017Former NZ PM joins ANZBy Staff Reporter
- 18 Oct 2017IRESS and SuiteBox announce Xplan integrationBy Staff Reporter
- 17 Oct 2017Shipton ‘most qualified’ for ASIC role: O’DwyerBy Aleks Vickovich and Jessica Yun
- view all