The Trust Company is best known as a 128 year-old financial services firm, but for 59 of those years it has also served as trustee of the Miles Franklin Literary Awards, tasked with administering Franklin’s estate and ensuring her legacy and the promotion of Australian writing.
The trustee recently announced it is taking the awards on the road this year, hosting a number of events across the country in the lead up to the announcement of the 2013 winner.
Events will include discussions with award finalists Romy Ash and Annah Faulkner at the State Library of Queensland in Brisbane on June 5 and at the ACT Writers Centre in Canberra on June 6.
“Over the past four years, The Trust Company has made significant investment in revitalising the award by initiating new events to showcase the Miles Franklin around the country,” Trust Company head of philanthropy Simon Lewis told ifa.
“These events are part of our wider ambition to broaden the audience of the Miles Franklin and Australian literature in general.
“The Trust Company is extremely proud to be associated with the Miles Franklin Award, a relationship which has lasted over 59 years.”
The roadshow follows the announcement of an all-female shortlist for the 2013 award, which includes Michelle de Kretser, Drusilla Modjeska and Carrie Tiffany as well as Ash and Faulkner.
The winner will be announced on June 19 in a ceremony at the National Library of Australia and they will receive $60,000 in prize money, presented by Trust Company on behalf of the Miles Franklin estate.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 16 Nov 2018Government sets $51m to pursue misconductBy Eliot Hastie
- 16 Nov 2018The financial advisers most people don’t read aboutBy James Mitchell
- 16 Nov 2018Clients expect advisers to understand their situationBy Eliot Hastie
- 16 Nov 2018Retirees hit hardest by franking credit changes, says FSCBy Sarah Simpkins
- 16 Nov 2018Trust in advice more important than everBy Stephanie Aikins
- 15 Nov 2018We’ll lose advisers through FASEA but it’s necessaryBy Adrian Flores
- view all