Four different lenders have now confirmed they will exit the SMSF lending space in the past week, with a further two banks announcing they will no longer offer loans to SMSFs.
Westpac announced that effective 31 July 2018 it would no longer offer property loans to SMSFs for both residential and commercial properties.
This followed an earlier announcement from its subsidiary St.George that it will withdraw its SMSF loan products from sale effective 31 July 2018.
Westpac Group confirmed to ifa sister title Mortgage Business that the removal of SMSF loans for both residential and business properties will be applied across all of the brands in the Westpac Group, including Bank of Melbourne and BankSA.
Commenting on the decision to withdraw all its brands from the SMSF lending space, Westpac stated that the bank “continually reviews its products to ensure we meet the expectations and requirements of customers”.
“To streamline our product offering, effective Tuesday, 31 July 2018 applications for new consumer or business lending will no longer be accepted for SMSFs,” Westpac stated in a public release.
The borrowing market has been getting tougher for SMSF trustees for several months, especially with loan to value expectations, as foreshadowed by specialist brokers like Thrive Investment Finance's owner Samantha Bright last year.
Most recently, Ms Bright said off-the-plan purchases are becoming increasingly difficult to finance, with lenders either refusing applications for properties that are less than six months old or requiring stronger assets than normal to back their loans.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 22 Jan 2019Advice issues stem from writing of SOAs, says RafteryBy Adrian Flores
- 21 Jan 2019Federal Court winds up CFS Private WealthBy Eliot Hastie
- 22 Jan 20192.44m Aussies suffer from financial stressBy Sarah Simpkins
- 22 Jan 2019BT releases 6 ‘core’ managed portfoliosBy Eliot Hastie
- 21 Jan 2019Licence conditions placed on Sydney AFSLBy Adrian Flores
- 21 Jan 2019O’Dwyer steps down from politicsBy Adrian Flores
- view all