AMP has announced former CBA chief executive and Financial System Inquiry chair David Murray as chairman, replacing the outgoing Catherine Brenner.
Mr Murray is expected to join the AMP board as chairman between the AMP 2018 annual general meeting on Thursday, 10 May and 1 July 2018.
Current executive chairman Mike Wilkins will return to the position of acting chief executive on that date.
Mr Murray was the chair of the Financial System Inquiry, which reported to the government in December 2014. He was also the CEO of CBA between 1992 and 2005.
Mr Wilkins said, “We’re delighted to welcome a person of David Murray’s outstanding calibre to the chairman’s role. His appointment brings strong and experienced leadership to the company, strengthening our governance and our commitment to change.
"David has deep experience of financial services, particularly banking and wealth management, as well as the industry’s regulatory environment through his leadership of the Financial System Inquiry.
"He brings a strong risk mindset and a clear appreciation of community expectations for AMP as well as the wider financial services industry. This is part of the reset that is necessary for the company and I look forward to working with David, the board and management to rebuild public confidence in the company and to restore shareholder value."
Mr Murray said, "AMP employs almost 6,000 people, many of whom are Australians, serving its customers across wealth management, superannuation, financial advice, life insurance, asset management and banking."
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 16 Oct 2018NAB to address advice issues in $314m payoutBy Eliot Hastie
- 16 Oct 2018ANZ under fire over ‘conflicted’ IOOF dealBy James Mitchell
- 16 Oct 2018Advisers should be early call in divorce casesBy Adrian Flores
- 16 Oct 2018War with Dover ‘destroyed me’, says ex-adviserBy Adrian Flores
- 16 Oct 2018Macquarie adds Insight fund to platformBy Adrian Flores
- 15 Oct 2018FASEA is setting a new standard for the industry: Assistant TreasurerBy Eliot Hastie
- view all