ASIC has permanently banned a former AMP adviser who was found guilty of fraud and stealing and sentenced to six and a half years' imprisonment.
ASIC has permanently banned Daniel Joseph Noonan, a former financial adviser based in Hobart, from the credit and financial services industries.
Noonan was an adviser at AMP Financial Planning from 2004 to 2016 according to the ASIC adviser register.
After pleading guilty Noonan was banned and convicted of 97 counts of fraud and 10 counts of stealing in the Supreme Court of Tasmania on 23 June 2017, following an investigation by Tasmania Police, the ASIC statement said.
Noonan was sentenced to six and a half years' imprisonment with a non-parole period of half that sentence.
The charges related to Noonan misappropriating a total of $2,495,117 from 14 clients over a period of nine years. During that time, Noonan was an authorised financial services representative of AMP Financial Planning Pty Ltd.
Noonan used the money that he fraudulently obtained or stole to gamble or replace sums already misappropriated. When sentencing Noonan, Justice Estcourt of the Supreme Court of Tasmania described Noonan’s crimes as ‘egregious violations of his fiduciary duty to his clients,’ the statement said.
ASIC deputy chairman Peter Kell said, 'ASIC will act to remove people from the credit and financial services industry who act dishonestly and breach the trust of their clients.'
The banning is effective from 15 August 2017.
Noonan has the right to appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) for a review of ASIC’s decision.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 19 Jun 2018Consultant calls for ‘restricted’ product adviceBy Tim Stewart
- 19 Jun 2018Fitzpatricks Group names three new execsBy Reporter
- 19 Jun 2018Former NAB, ASIC exec approaches Dover advisersBy Aleks Vickovich
- 19 Jun 2018CBA blocks access to Dover advisersBy Aleks Vickovich
- 19 Jun 2018ANZ launches adviser wellness portalBy Reporter
- 18 Jun 2018IOOF Alliances launches service for self-licensed advisersBy Reporter
- view all