ASIC has entered into a fintech relationship with an Asian country to foster greater co-operation around financial innovation.
In a statement yesterday, ASIC announced it signed an agreement on fintech co-operation with the Malaysia Securities Commission.
Similar to the co-operation agreements ASIC has entered into with Hong Kong and Japan, this agreement will enable the Malaysia Securities Commission and ASIC to refer innovative fintech businesses to each other for advice and support via ASIC's Innovation Hub and its Malaysia equivalent - the alliance of FINtech community ('aFINity').
The agreement will enable ASIC to keep abreast of regulatory and relevant economic or commercial developments in Malaysia and to use this to inform its own regulatory approach, the statement said.
ASIC chairman Greg Medcraft said international co-operation on fintech is essential.
“This agreement will help local businesses grow beyond our borders, and improve our understanding of fintech in the region,” Mr Medcraft said.
“We look forward to working more closely with our colleagues at the Malaysia Securities Commission.”
SC chairman Ranjit Ajit Singh said the agreement will further strengthen the co-operative arrangements between Malaysia and Australia in capital market development and regulation.
“Even as we continue to enable new forms of innovation in capital markets, we must not lose sight of the need to manage digital risks, by taking a strategic approach to risk management, recruiting digital talent and improving IT architectures,” he said.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 17 Aug 2018Advisers can ‘professionalise’ clients’ philanthropyBy Lucy Dean and Killian Plastow
- 17 Aug 2018Standalone robo-advisers ‘will not attract’ HNW investorsBy Reporter
- 17 Aug 2018Assess super on value not fees, Rice Warner urgesBy Killian Plastow
- 16 Aug 2018ANZ taken to task over ‘misleading’ general adviceBy Reporter
- 16 Aug 2018Faith in adviser ethics fallsBy Reporter
- 15 Aug 2018CFS required no proof for service fees, RC hearsBy Killian Plastow
- view all