Life insurers should be collaborating with APRA to create an industry-funded claims register aimed particularly at members insured without a financial adviser, according to AIA Australia.
In its submission to the life insurance inquiry, AIA Australia said it supports the establishment of a centralised Independent Claims Assistance Service to assist members with enquiries about claims processes, lodging claims and claims decisions.
It further added that such a service would be particularly useful for those insured through direct channels, noting that “they do not have the advocacy services provided by superannuation trustees, or financial advisers, to assist them in the same manner as the other channels”.
“We recognise claims are made during stressful and difficult times in peoples’ lives and many find the process complex and overwhelming,” the submission said.
“Many individuals seek assistance from third parties at claim time to alleviate this stress.”
AIA Australia said that it, and the broader industry, has noticed its members are increasingly turning to legal representation at the initial stages of lodging a claim.
It said most claims are resolved without legal representation, with only 13 per cent of all claimants being legally represented, and with total and permanent disability claimants represented in 36 per cent of cases.
“We want to do more to help individuals during the claims process to ensure they can have the full support of their entire benefit payment, rather than needlessly sharing a significant proportion of it on legal representation,” the submission said.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 25 Jun 2018Sam Henderson to retire from financial adviceBy Reporter
- 25 Jun 2018CBA to spin off 'independent' CFS GroupBy Reporter
- 22 Jun 2018Awards night recognises young adviser of the yearBy Reporter
- 22 Jun 2018AMP chair urges RC to not to restrict business modelsBy Killian Plastow
- 22 Jun 2018David Murray takes reins as AMP chairmanBy Reporter
- 22 Jun 2018Fitzpatricks announces new licensee bossBy Aleks Vickovich
- view all