Industry Super Australia has welcomed a Senate inquiry into unpaid superannuation guarantee, saying it was “long overdue” and millions of Australians are missing out on their entitlements.
According to a statement by ISA, the matter of unpaid super guarantee was referred last week to the Senate economics committee for inquiry by ACT Senator Katy Gallagher.
Employers are required by law to contribute 9.5 per cent in superannuation towards every employee over the age of 18 earning more than $450 a month.
However, estimates suggest millions of Australians are missing out on their guaranteed super entitlements, the statement said.
“Dodging superannuation obligations is insidious and widespread, and the impacts – on retirement incomes, business competitiveness and government revenues – are far reaching,” said ISA chief executive David Whiteley.
“It’s something employees may be reluctant to speak up about for fear of rocking the boat. If you haven’t been paid your super entitlements, a written submission to this inquiry is a safe place to not only share your story but also help fix the system.”
The Senate inquiry will consider the impact of non-payment of the superannuation guarantee on retirement incomes, employer competitiveness and government revenue; the accuracy of official information and data; the effectiveness of monitoring and recovery; and the appropriateness of responses to complaints and tip-offs, the statement said.
The inquiry is expected to report its findings at the end of March 2017.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 25 Sep 2018ASIC finds serious delays in breach reporting from major banksBy Eliot Hastie
- 25 Sep 2018Failed advice firm was ‘a proven success story’: DalyBy Adrian Flores and James Mitchell
- 25 Sep 2018New city added to FPA’s Women in Wealth programBy Adrian Flores
- 25 Sep 2018Fund managers charging fees for underperformanceBy Eliot Hastie
- 25 Sep 2018Government minister to address AFA conferenceBy Adrian Flores
- 24 Sep 2018Accountants continue battle for advice spaceBy Adrian Flores
- view all