The top goal for financial advisory firms is to be independent and in charge of their future, while citing that they are least confident when it comes to minimising the impact of regulation, new research from Macquarie has found.
According to Macquarie’s Accounting and Financial Services Benchmarking report, 79 per cent of firms with less than $2 million revenue said they strive to be independent, while 49 per cent of larger firms chose the same top goal.
“Respondents from smaller AFS firms are much more likely to value independence and achieving a high level of expertise,” the report says.
“Principals of larger firms also value independence, though to a much lesser extent, and are more likely to place value on leadership, respect and happiness.”
When it comes to confidence, both large and small firms said they are the most confident about developing strong and lasting relationships with clients and the least about the impact of regulation.
“Confidence ratings between smaller and larger firms are similar, with the exception of adapting to the impact of regulation, where larger firms are slightly more confident,” the report says.
The report also found that high-performing firms tend to drive growth by leveraging the existing capabilities and client base within their businesses.
Macquarie Wealth Management division director David Clatworthy said, “Nearly 80 per cent of high-performing businesses say adding value to their existing client base is the most effective profitability lever they have in the current market.
“In comparison, firms achieving below average profit are most likely to look outside their business for profitability growth, with 50 per cent reporting new client acquisition as a key profitability driver, compared to 32 per cent of high performers.”
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 26 Sep 2018Royal commission branded as run to ‘political agenda’By Adrian Flores
- 25 Sep 2018ASIC finds serious delays in breach reporting from major banksBy Eliot Hastie
- 26 Sep 2018New ETF to give access to Asian tech giantsBy Eliot Hastie
- 26 Sep 2018Insight fund added to Netwealth platformBy Adrian Flores
- 25 Sep 2018Failed advice firm was ‘a proven success story’: DalyBy Adrian Flores and James Mitchell
- 25 Sep 2018New city added to FPA’s Women in Wealth programBy Adrian Flores
- view all