Financial advisers should not be expected to provide good advice without having had real-life experience, regardless of how educated they are, says ANZ’s managing director, Wealth Australia, Alexis George.
Speaking at a recent roundtable event, Ms George said that while ANZ encouraged its advisers to adopt the government’s proposed education standards, experience remained of the utmost importance.
“I don’t think we should dismiss experience," she said. "Experience is important – no one would want a doctor to operate from a five-year university degree where they didn’t step into an operating theatre, so I don’t think we should expect financial planners to do the same. So the recognition of experience is important."
Nevertheless, Ms George said the bank is pushing for its advisers to get educated.
“We’re encouraging everybody to adopt what the education standards are likely to be because we know that at some point you are going to end up with a degree qualification, and for our salaried planners we're insisting that they have the Advanced Diploma of Financial Planning,” she said.
“We’ll continue to do that. We are still working with our aligned groups about what the best way to go forward is.”
Ms George, however, expressed concern about the lack of courses for advisers.
“It’s out to 2024 for existing advisers to get a degree or similar, but there is no one with courses so it looks like a long time but we don’t know what it looks like and we haven’t got any courses,” she said.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 16 Aug 2017UBS appoints head of wholesale distributionBy Staff Reporter
- 17 Aug 2017Formerly banned adviser to face further ASIC chargesBy Staff Reporter
- 16 Aug 2017Challenger announces ‘strategic relationship’ with Japanese insurerBy Staff Reporter
- 16 Aug 2017Income protection insurance launched for on-demand workersBy Staff Reporter
- 17 Aug 2017New evidence for self-licensing surgeBy Aleks Vickovich and Linda Santacruz
- 16 Aug 2017RegTech to reduce adviser misconductBy Aleks Vickovich and Larissa Waterson
- view all