AMP is “not at all concerned” about the exit of a number of Genesys member firms from the company's advice network, says CEO Craig Meller.
Speaking to media following AMP's annual general meeting in Sydney yesterday, Mr Meller said the AMP advice network overall is in an advantageous position, despite the closure of Genesys and the departure of some member firms.
“If you look at our adviser numbers over the last three years, we have been one of the stronger adviser franchises in the country, we are also the biggest in the country,” Mr Meller said.
“Genesys advisers are only 200 out of 3,800 advisers we have in our different licensees across Australia,” Mr Meller said.
Despite suggestions from Genesys advisers that restrictions on product choice and advice philosophy led to the dispute with head office, Mr Meller said the decision to close the group was purely financial.
“The challenge with Genesys is that the critical mass and [the cost of running it] just wasn’t economic for the size of the licensee," he said.
“We looked at it, we had very professionally constructed discussions with the individual businesses within the Genesys licensee. Many of them have chosen to stay with AMP; some of them have moved elsewhere,” he said.
The CEO said AMP’s focus is now on helping its advice network drive productivity rather than growth in adviser numbers.
News of AMP's decision to close the dealer group was announced in November 2014, with a source within the Genesys network explaining that staff had until 30 April 2015 to find new arrangements.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 21 Jun 2018Henderson Maxwell to merge with AZ NGA firmBy Aleks Vickovich
- 21 Jun 2018Aon caught lying about Dover licensing offerBy Aleks Vickovich
- 20 Jun 2018FASEA names new chief executiveBy Reporter
- 20 Jun 2018Sexual harassment debate sparked in advice industryBy Aleks Vickovich
- 20 Jun 2018Clear KPIs a key adviser motivator: reportBy Reporter
- 20 Jun 2018Dealer group to appear before royal commission’s fourth roundBy Aleks Vickovich
- view all