The Financial Planning Association has announced the appointment of a new chairperson to its Conduct Review Commission, following the departure of Dimity Kingsford Smith.
Lawyer and ethicist Dr June Smith will oversee the independent body, which is charged with regulating the behaviour of FPA members and upholding compliance with the FPA Code of Conduct.
FPA CEO Mark Rantall said professional standards were of crucial importance to financial services.
“Dr Smith’s appointment as CRC chair comes at a significant time in the financial planning industry, when it is of utmost importance to ensure that we live up to the expectations of our profession,” he said.
“Having an independent governance framework is integral to ensuring that financial planners do the right thing and act in their clients’ best interest, providing high quality advice to their clients.”
Dr Smith said the CRC will play a key role in upholding ethical standards for financial planners.
“I feel privileged to be able to lead the Commission in this next phase, to position it as an expert and independent voice that shares insight and experience about what it means to be a member of the FPA and the conduct that is expected of its members,” she said.
In addition to her new position, Dr Smith currently serves as the CEO of the Code Compliance Monitoring Committee supported by the Financial Ombudsman Service.
A former principal at Argyle Lawyers, Dr Smith also holds a PhD in applied ethics and organisational decision-making.
She replaces Professor Kingsford Smith, who has chaired the CRC since 2007.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 16 Mar 2018CBA CEO pushed for FOFA extensionBy James Mitchell and Aleks Vickovich
- 16 Mar 2018CPA dealer group clashes with FASEA requirementsBy Katarina Taurian
- 16 Mar 2018NAB launches virtual assistant for superBy Staff Reporter
- 15 Mar 2018IFA-focused platforms open to new strategiesBy Staff Reporter
- 15 Mar 2018Deakin eyes advisers to fill staff demandBy Killian Plastow
- 15 Mar 2018Adviser Innovation Summit 2018 agenda announcedBy Staff Reporter
- view all