Assistant Treasurer Arthur Sinodinos has responded to media coverage of the amendments to FOFA, explaining that “no amount of regulation” can avoid financial collapse.
In a statement issued yesterday, Senator Sinodinos referenced “recent media coverage” that pointed to the case of Storm Financial as an example of why the existing FOFA legislation is needed, arguing that it is misguided to think government intervention can avert collapses.
“Let's be clear: no amount of regulation can prevent another financial collapse as you can never regulate away all risk,” the assistant treasurer said.
"Neither our reforms nor the existing FOFA laws can prevent a possible future financial collapse."
The government will be introducing a Bill to amend FOFA, in line with its pre-election commitment, in coming weeks, Mr Sinodinos said.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 19 Feb 2019ASIC to ‘fully implement’ Hayne recommendationsBy James Mitchell
- 19 Feb 2019CFS hamstrung advisers as they left for DoverBy Adrian Flores
- 18 Feb 2019ASIC appeals Westpac best interests court decisionBy Adrian Flores
- 18 Feb 2019FASEA mostly funded by the major banksBy Adrian Flores
- 19 Feb 2019Great advisers are going to thrive: Dow JonesBy Eliot Hastie
- 15 Feb 2019ASIC to undertake harsher penalties against banksBy Eliot Hastie
- view all