Assistant Treasurer Arthur Sinodinos has responded to media coverage of the amendments to FOFA, explaining that “no amount of regulation” can avoid financial collapse.
In a statement issued yesterday, Senator Sinodinos referenced “recent media coverage” that pointed to the case of Storm Financial as an example of why the existing FOFA legislation is needed, arguing that it is misguided to think government intervention can avert collapses.
“Let's be clear: no amount of regulation can prevent another financial collapse as you can never regulate away all risk,” the assistant treasurer said.
"Neither our reforms nor the existing FOFA laws can prevent a possible future financial collapse."
The government will be introducing a Bill to amend FOFA, in line with its pre-election commitment, in coming weeks, Mr Sinodinos said.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE IFA DAILY BULLETIN
- 09:42Only 12% of advice practices have exit plansBy Adrian Flores
- 09:42CIPRs need to account for future mortality rates, study findsBy Adrian Flores
- 09:42Freedom halts selling of life insuranceBy Adrian Flores
- 7 Dec 2018New ASIC deputy chair announcedBy Adrian Flores
- 7 Dec 2018Growth companies fund added to Macquarie WrapBy Adrian Flores
- 7 Dec 2018ASIC makes unique AFSL decision on foreign adviserBy Adrian Flores
- view all